Location and History
Our Lefa mine is some 700 km north east of Conakry, the capital of the Republic of Guinea and is connected to an all-season road that has easy access to an air strip.
Commercial production began at the Lefa mine in 2008. The mine was acquired by Nordgold at the end of July 2010, as part of the Crew Gold acquisition, with financial results consolidated from August 2010.
Lefa gold mine operates a typical modern open pit operation with three major mining areas and several smaller, higher grade satellite pits, which will provide supplementary feed for the mill over the life of the project.
Lefa continued its strong performance in 2015. The mine increased gold output by 4% YoY to 214.2 koz due to the improvement of all mining and processing parameters.
Operating and Financial Highlights
|Run of mine (kt)||24,999||18,144||23,934||26,986||23,933||5,829|
|Waste mined (kt)||18,980||13,945||20,054||20,674||17,273||3,430|
|Ore mined (kt)||6,019||4,199||3,880||6,312||6,660||2,327|
|Stripping ratio (tn/tn)||3.2||3.3||5.2||3.3||2.6||1.7|
|Ore processed (kt)||6,558||6,459||5,826||5,932||6,128||2,186|
|Gold production (koz)||214.2||205.1||162.7||171.9||195.7||73.3|
|Gold sold (koz)||223.5||195.7||162.7||171.9||195.7||73.3|
|Average realised gold price per ounce sold (US$/oz)||1,164||1,262||1,387||1,670||1,554||1,346|
|Total Cash Cost (US$/oz)||643||850||1,398||1,180||861||860|
- Nordgold obtained a controlling interest in Lefa mine at the end of July 2010. Figures for 2010 represent only the period after Crew Gold was acquired by Nordgold, i.e. from August to December 31, 2010, while the 2011 column represents the full-year operations of Crew Gold as part of the group. All the changes in 2011 in comparison to 2010 are explained by the different periods of operations as part of the group in 2010 and 2011.
Ore Reserves and Mineral Resources Summary (31 December 2015)
|Category||Ore (Kt)||Grade (g/t)||Au (Koz)|
|Proven and Probable||62,177||1.50||3,003|
|Measured and Indicated||87,569||1.38||3,893|
Lefa consists of two main open pits and several smaller satellite pits, an eight-kilometer conveyer belt from Lero-Karta pits to the processing plant, a processing plant with a crushing circuit, two SAG mills, two ball mills and a CIP circuit, waste rock dumps, a specially constructed tailing storage facility, and a water management system.
Milling and Classification
Cyanide leaching and sorption
- Lefa will continue to target higher ore volumes mined and a slight increase in head grade. The plant productivity and ore blend consistency will improve further in 2016 due to the reclaim feeder, which was launched in December 2015, despite processing harder ores.
- 2016 operational improvements will also include LoM ore feed and plant design optimisation, upgrade of the pebble crusher and powerhouse, and the investment by Q4 2016 in a new oxygen plant for leach area to replace peroxide addition.
- The 2015 drilling programme was designed to define resources to extend the Kankarta pit life and has yielded economic intersections in a significant number of holes that should produce additional resources after infill drilling that will take place in 2016.
- Lefa will continue to pursue ore reserve replacement from early stage exploration, extensional exploration and Mineral Resource conversion drilling in current pits.
- The mine also continued the search for new deposits near existing operations.